Re-Reading My Journal ~ Day Two


I wake, almost dreading today.
I was with Bruce on March 10th.
(the day he died)
Now it was time to say good bye again.
It is steamy outside.
A wheat bagel should make my tummy feel better.
I have to make notes in my real journal, or I will forget something.
We are picking Sue up at her house
and
we will go together to the cemetery together.
My family is buried at
It is the oldest Lutheran Church in this country,
although I cannot remember any of us being Lutheran.
 Full Military Honors.
The Marines are at the cemetery when I arrive.
Larry, Sue and I are together.
Many cars start pulling up.
Family, old family friends & Marine friends of my Uncle's.
The funeral director gives a weak smile as he directs traffic.
The Marines stand very still.
On the table is a box with my Uncle's ashes.
And a flag.
One secret ....
My uncle's beloved springer spaniel Hanna's ashes are there also.
(Hanna died a year ago.
While the Uncle became sicker, he requested that Hanna
be inturned with him when the time came)
The green tent, chairs begging for someone to sit,
sunglasses, tissues, hugs.
Sue sits in the first chair, she looks at me and holds out her hand.
I sit next to her and Larry stands behind me.
His hands on my shoulders strengthen me.
Bruce's son Scott, speaks.
Thoughts, memories, scripture.
He is stoic.
He asks Larry to say a few words.
Larry.
In his brown suit on this hot day.
Remembers a man, who became like a father to him.
To us all.
Gothe, sweet thoughts of life,
a quote from the Wizard of OZ..
( Larry gave this same quote on the Uncle's 70th birthday)
"A man is not judged by how much he loved,
but how much he is loved by others"
We look at each other.
Now I cry.
Larry cries too.
Amen's.
The Marine plays TAPS.
How can I remember all of the moments of this morning?
Jessica and Catherine.
My cousin Scott's  teenage daughters come to me for hugs.
Tears and hugs.
They will miss their Grandfather.

It is our family tradition to meet here after a memorial service.
The room is filled with family and old friends of my Uncle.
There are memories, smiles, tears, friends, and love.
All of the things that you hope people feel
about you when you are gone.


We each have a turn remembering Bruce.


Stories make us laugh, shocked us and make us cry.



The afternoon is going by so quickly.
Louise (above) tells a story about my uncle,
and how he snuck out to eat KRYSTAL Burgers when he
thought no one was looking.
I want to hear more stories about my uncle.
Lunch has been served.
We are tired....Sue needs to go home and rest.
July 22nd, 2010.
This day, Bruce Diefendorf Stevenson
was inturned and remembered.
****

I am tired. Sad. In need of a major distraction.
Guess where Larry took me?
GUESS


The home is a few miles from where Bruce & Sue Live.
It was just what I need.
Fresh air.....
and to be where such a great author lived and created.
****
We leave here and pick up giant HOAGIES
and  have a picnic in bed.
I love hotel room beds.....they are perfect for picnics.
Love you,
Me

1 comment:

Anne Gifford said...

We are sorry for the loss of your uncle. You have the best and most cretive look at life. I love to read your blog.