Tuesday, September 1, 2015

The Last Gift

Sometimes, old memories are the best.
It gives you a chance to escape back to happier times.

Since learning of the death of my sister, Judi,
So many wonderful memories have flooded back to me.

Here is my older sister Judi and me. Easter 1962.
Mother made our dresses and hats.


My sister, Judith Frances Stevenson Arthur
1949-2015
 Larry and I had a private memorial for Judi
on August 23, 2015.
It was a Sunday at sunrise.
 Larry and I went to Baby Beach, 
about a 5 minute walk from the cottage.
I carried the lei that I had in memory of her
and on a scrunched up piece of paper,
the schedule that I wrote out.
{I was frightened that I would forget my plans when emotions hit}

We wore shorts and bare feet.
The sun rose gently.
My heart beat in that same fast, sad, way
in the moments you know 
that will live in your heart forever.

The lei lay on a beach rock.
It was beautiful.
It was infinity.
It was the last gift that I would ever give Judi.

Judith Arthur.
Sister.
A few personal memories.
Prayer of Love.
Lords Prayer.
As Larry dedicated Judi's Lei to the sea,
We read the hymn, I Danced In The Morning.
{This hymn was sung at my Mothers memorial. It is my favorite}

I Danced In The Morning

I danced in the morning 
when the world was begun, 
and I danced in the moon 
and the stars and the sun, 
and I came down from heaven 
and I danced on the earth, 
at Bethlehem 
I had my birth. 

Refrain: 

Dance, then, wherever you may be, 

I am the Lord of the Dance, said he, 

and I'll lead you all, wherever you may be, 

and I'll lead you all in the Dance, said he.


I danced for the scribe 

and the pharisee, 

but they would not dance 

and they wouldn't follow me. 

I danced for the fishermen, 

for James and John - 

they came with me 
and the dance went on. 
Refrain: 
Dance, then, wherever you may be, 
I am the Lord of the Dance, said he, 
and I'll lead you all, wherever you may be, 
and I'll lead you all in the Dance, said he.


I danced on the Sabbath 

and I cured the lame; 

the holy people 

said it was a shame. 

they whipped and they stripped 

and they hung me on high, 

and they left me there 
on a Cross to die. 
Refrain: 
Dance, then, wherever you may be, 
I am the Lord of the Dance, said he, 
and I'll lead you all, wherever you may be, 
and I'll lead you all in the Dance, said he.


I danced on a Friday 

when the sky turned black; 

it's hard to dance 

with the devil on your back. 

They buried my body 

and they thought I'd gone, 

but I am the Dance, 
and I still go on. 
Refrain: 
Dance, then, wherever you may be, 
I am the Lord of the Dance, said he, 
and I'll lead you all, wherever you may be, 
and I'll lead you all in the Dance, said he.


They cut me down 

and I leapt up high; 

I am the life 

that'll never, never die; 

I'll live in you 

if you'll live in me - 

I am the Lord 
of the Dance, said he. 
Refrain: 
Dance, then, wherever you may be, 
I am the Lord of the Dance, said he, 
and I'll lead you all, wherever you may be, 
and I'll lead you all in the Dance, said he.

Larry and I stood on the sand.
God's sky was above us
 as we read the words of
the hymn, 
tears ran down our faces as we watched her lei float outward.
Larry took a picture, so I could remember everything.
He whispered: did her lei form a Heart?
I could not speak.
Then we both said, Goodbye Judi.

 This was our quiet goodbye to Judi.
My older sister.
Love you.
Me

0 comments: