Jul 31, 2013

A One Year Anniversary!

   One year ago, I had surgery to remove a malignant tumor in my breast. On this day, one year ago, I became cancer free. That is why I consider this date my anniversary.
   Those of you who know me, know my feelings. I did what I had to do medically. I adore all of my doctors and taking advice from people whom you like and respect is always easy. Prep for surgery sucked. Excuse my French. Surgery was a breeze because I slept through it and recovery always takes me a little longer than the average person, so it seems I have a few remaining issues to deal with.
   One thing I will never recover from is the stigma of cancer. Each person has their own feelings about this. I respect that, but wish I could have been the  person to make a change. My chatty friends, would just look at me and not say much. So called friends, whispered and gossiped behind my back. Larry's work environment did not include my illness at all. Bless his heart. Larry handled my breast cancer without missing a beat. I announced the cancer in my blog, so I wanted to share what was happening.  I am still amazed at the reactions and lack of empathy. 
    And then.....out of the darkness came the most amazing people. The ones who loved and supported us with notes, flowers, cards, pink boxes, love, hugs, dinners and prayers. My life did not stay dark for long. I will never be able to repay you. You know who you are. All of you kept me busy, kept me smiling and allowed me to feel Gods grace. I am indebted to you forever.

    I scheduled the never ending weeks of radiation at 12:30 each day. Larry requested that, so he could come with me. And he did! He only missed 2 treatments, and even then Jamison came with me. I never went alone.
    Two weeks ago we had a little scare and I had tests done. My breast is still in recovery mode, so it caused a few things to happen. All tests showed me cancer free.
    Did you read that? CANCER FREE! And one year is up. Granted, I have four years to go, but with Gods blessings, this most difficult one year is over.
    I am crying as I write today's post. Happy tears that feel quite natural. 
    Life as I know it is getting back to normal. A new normal for me. Am I allowed to be this happy? Is today really as beautiful as it looks to me?
Are my children and granddaughter truly as brilliant as I view them? Where does Larry keep his white steed at night? 
   What I know for certain is, my blessings are uncountable, my faith is as strong as ever and I am so very thankful. 
I am cancer free on my one year anniversary.
Love you.
Me


   

2 comments:

Teagirl said...

CoNgRaTuLaTiOnS! HaPpY DaNcE!
Robin, I was Just thinking about this while at work two nights ago! I thought it was getting close and I remember exactly where I was and what I was doing when I got the news. I wept and prayed, alot. I shall wear PINK to work tonight to celebrate ROBIN! I love you dear friend. <3
God bless you!

Teagirl said...

CoNgRaTuLaTiOnS! HaPpY DaNcE!
Robin, I was Just thinking about this while at work two nights ago! I thought it was getting close and I remember exactly where I was and what I was doing when I got the news. I wept and prayed, alot. I shall wear PINK to work tonight to celebrate ROBIN! I love you dear friend. <3
God bless you!