Today I am grateful for emotions.

Photo: Pink Ribbon/Breast Cancer Awareness

 Twelve years ago, I had my first experience with breast cancer. On this date, I underwent surgery to remove a tumor from my left breast. Surgery was a lumpectomy, and then had months of treatments and 5 years of the oral chemo pill. (An ONCO DX Test helped determine my treatments) I was a survivor and in remission.

After five years cancer free, Larry and I celebrated. We celebrated every year while I was getting healthy and dealing with primary hyperparathyroidism. (I had two separate surgeries dealing with that. We all have 4 parathyroids. I have only one left, as the others had tumors on them) But it was ok, I could handle that.

Then, after 7 years cancer free, another tumor was found. This time it was in my right breast, and it was a different cancer.

I was shattered.

There was another surgery, and treatment this time was a catheter in the incision that shot radioactive isotopes into my breast. Twice a day for 5 days. It was awful, but I did it.

Today is the anniversary that started it all. I am still angry about it but hope that the story reminds everyone to get the yearly screenings. Early detection saved my life, twice.

I am happy to be alive, sad that it happened, anxious about the future and hopeful that my story might help someone else.

Today, Larry wants to celebrate that I am a breast cancer survivor. I am not that enthusiastic about it.....I am still sad.

Love you beyond the moon.

Me




No comments: