Mother's Favorite Recipes

Photo: Along with collecting recipes, Mother grew African Violets. This is my African Violet, living on our dining room table.

 I have been thinking about Mother a lot these days. I think that it is because of "The Little Red Cookbook."
In 1977-ish Mother gave me a small red book and told me that it was for the family recipes. I have used it often over the past years, so much that it is falling apart.
Photo: The small red cookbook is falling apart

Because the Red Book is falling apart, My Larry being the amazing man that he is, ordered me a new book from OBERON. 
Photo: The new family cookbook

I have been transferring recipes daily since it arrived. The special recipes from the little red book touching my memory as I rewrite them in the new book. It is a very sentimental project. I am enjoying it most of the time, but sometimes it tugs at my heartstrings, and I get sad. All of the recipes are very special and remind me of long past family times.

While in Memphis last weekend, I found a local Methodist cookbook at an antique mall. The recipes look wonderful and after testing a few of them on family members, they might end up in the new family sunflower ookbook.
Photo: The new cookbook~ 1987

What is it about old recipes? Prepared food being part of special moments, that live in our hearts for a very long time.

I owe my son in law a treat for taking care of an Internet problem I had last week. I am going to make him something from Mother's favorite recipes.

I am taking time transferring the recipes, making sure that I do not make any mistakes. 
Where do you keep your favorite recipes?
Are they splattered with food and kept in a box somewhere?

Please have a special day...filled with special moments.
Love you beyond the moon.
Me

No comments: