Uninvited Guest



I honestly did not have any intention of posting again today.
But, I had a moment.
I stood breathless for a moment,
clutching a pink striped shirt
that was my Mothers.

The guest room has a guest,
a mouse or a roof rat.
We live near a small lake and a creek, so it is normal,
to have an uninvited guest once and awhile.
It gives me the willies,
and Larry is out of town, so I have a phobia
that the "guest" will be caught and I will have to be the
masters of ceremonies for the disposal.

Being the proactive woman I am,
I am cleaning out the guest room closet.
(hoping I do not come eye to eye with said guest)
Years of ART class supplies, canvases yet to be masterpieces....
it has been an adventure of its own, reliving classes I have taught,
paintings that I am ready to create, and friends I have made.

Then, at the top of the closet,
 I found an old MONET tote bag, brought home years ago from Paris.
It was filled with the most wonderful fabric, cut and ready
for something called a STARGAZEY QUILT
and
under that, was a bulky mess of pink fabric.
It was worn and soft, clean and folded.
It was the pink striped top and shorts she wore
to the Thursday chemo, before she died three days later.
I hugged it!
I remembered it!
After Mother's memorial service,
 I remember asking my sisters if I might have it.
I hugged it again.
Mothers scent was gone, but the buttons!
She had buttoned the buttons.

On this day,
when I was missing my mother in the worst way,
and wishing that she was here for this new, wonderful, time in our family....
The uninvited guest made it possible that I find
the pink striped shorts and top.

I still hope that I do not have to see the "guest".....
but I whispered thanks to him.
Love you.
Me

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lovely, Robin. Uncanny how the unwelcome guest led you to your closet and a delicious, bittersweet reconnection with your memories.

Pastelred said...

Lisa, you are such a talent with words....I am blessed in many ways. Have a happy weekend! (eating blueberries)

Unknown said...

Robin I really believe there are no accidents. I think she is watching over you and Lauren and baby right now.