I bought this today at
a flea market in Dallas.
It is a
Bacchantes Roman Frieze.
It is now hung near my desk
and I love it.
When I find out more about this reproduction,
I will share the story....
Have a happy day.
It is not "frieze"-ing here,
It is 100 degrees outside!
Love you!
******************
This is what I discovered about my frieze...
I LOVE this...
not to mention I got the best deal of the day on it!
***
The Bacchantes Dancing Maidens were followers of Bacchus (Dionysos), the god of wine. As one of the leading mystery religions during the Greek and Roman eras, they met in secret and celebrated their deity with a frenzy of excitement including playing musical instruments and dancing. It was one of the few activities in which women were sometimes left unsupervised in these patriarchal societies. Here on this Bacchantes Dancing Maidens Wall Hanging Relief, we see a group of women holding hands in a row in celebration with classical columns behind them. It adds a spirit of celebration to any classical room, romanesque kitchen island decor, or bathroom shower. Greek / Roman Bacchantes Maidens Dancing (Ladies Dancing) Wall Hanging Frieze is made from lightweight interior / exterior resin, pictured in white with gray wash, ready to hang, 37”W x 1”D x 17”H.

1 comment:

DBrown said...

Thank you for this!

I'm not sure if you know, but your blog is the only site that has the offers a high-res picture of this frieze. If you still have it, will you take some new photos of it? It would be great to have some quality pictures of this frieze.